Marshmallows, graham crackers, and chocolate, it doesn’t get much more summer than that. Remove the fire element and instead combine a chocolate like graham cracker, nutty brown butter and melty marshmallows, and you’ve got a new summertime treat in Cookies and Creme S’Mores Bars.
Rewind to a few weeks ago when I was feeling lazy due to summer’s ever impending heat. I wanted something sweet, no fuss, and ready in a jiffy. Rice Krispie treats always to come to mind. But imagine my surprise when there’s no crispy rice cereal in my pantry, major fail. What’s a girl to do? Fretting about heading to the store when I just wanted to lounge, I spotted a box of Back to Nature‘s Classic Creme Cookies. Between my husband and I, the box never lasts long so it became a now or never situation. Quickly nabbing them up, I wondered if I really could enhance the perfectly crispy delicious cookies into something downright sinful and live to blog about it? As you can guess, that is where we ended up today.
I gathered my ingredients of marshmallows, cookies and creme cookies, and butter together. In no time I’d be on my way to delectable. But then I remembered we don’t have a microwave. Melting marshmallows without a microwave suddenly seemed so daunting. At this point I was just too excited and decided that the promise of of delicious was just too enticing. Time to carry on.
On my first trial of this recipe, I only used one package of cookies. The marshmallow to cookie ratio seemed a little off. The bars were pretty flimsy and stuck to everything. They tasted good so I didn’t worry a whole lot. However, knowing my husband likes everything chilled, I decided to put the bars into the refrigerator. We ended up with about the most amazing thing ever! The bars never seized up and become rock solid. Instead, they reminded us of less sticky s’mores with all the flavors of cookies and creme. As they started to melt, they became a challenge to eat, reminding us of all those marshmallows we eat all summer long. We gobbled them up all in the name of “trials for the blog,” and on I went to try a few more times for the perfect treat. What I ended up with was a cookies and creme bar highlighting all those things about summer I love. Crispy cookies, melty marshmallows, the addition of toasty goodness, all slightly chilled. Doesn’t it make you just want to dig in?
To full plates and eating your tarte out,
- 1 package of cookies and creme cookies (12 ounces)
- 1 package of marshmallows (10 ounces)
- 4 tablespoons butter (or butter substitute)
- Butter a 9×13″ pan, set aside.
- In a ziplock bag, crush cookies using a rolling pin. You want the majority of the cookies to be about the size of your thumb nail or smaller. Sprinkle a handful of crumbs onto the bottom of your buttered pan. Reserve a half cup of cookies, and then set aside the remaining cookies in a separate bowl (should be about two cups).
- In a small saucepan on medium heat, melt your butter. Stir constantly until your mixture starts to foam. As the water evaporates, continue stirring as the foaming continues. Pay close attention to color. When it achieves a light tan color, remove it from the heat. Continue to stir for another minute. Allow to cool slightly.
- In a large microwave safe bowl, heat marshmallows together (about three minutes) until puffy and mostly melted. You can also do this in double boiler on your stove. Stir in your browned butter and then quickly stir in your two cups of cookie crumbs.
- Spread your mixture into the prepared pan. Use a spatula to press the mixture around the dish, and flatten evenly. Sprinkle your remaining half cup of cookie crumbs on top.
- Cover with plastic wrap and allow to chill about an hour before cutting into squares. Store in the fridge until ready to eat and enjoy!
- If you want more stability in your bar and not have to refrigerate them, consider adding additional cookies and creme cookies. You can also add in crispy rice cereal too.
- Consider using peanut butter sandwich cookies in lieu of the cookies and creme cookies for a fluffer-nutter twist!